Wednesday, November 22, 2023

The Fulness Of Jesus (Poem)

Last year, I had sent out another hymn by this same author, Quietness And Confidence. This one is definitely one of the best in his book of poems/hymns.

The Fulness Of Jesus

Lord Jesus! when I ponder o’er
Thy grace and love to me,
My heart is nigh to overflow
With praise and thanks to Thee.

My wisdom and my righteousness,
My peace, my all, Thou art;
I long to know full blessedness,
And yield Thee all my heart.

Oh! make my heart a Bethany,
A dwelling-place of Thine;
For nothing else can satisfy
This longing heart of mine.

Thus filled with Thee, my fount of life,
My ever blessed Lord,
I joyously can testify
The fulness of Thy word.

And of the Godhead bodily,
All fulness dwells in Thee;
This mystery of mysteries
In glory I shall see.

Thy fulness is my heritage,
Thou givest grace for grace;
Till in a bright Eternity
I see Thee face to face.

What though I can but understand
In part, while here below?
Soon all that yet is unrevealed
In fulness I shall know.

And even now, the portion, Lord,
That Thou dost give to me,
Is this, that through Thy tenderness,
I full of joy may be.

The longing soul is satisfied,
The hungry soul is fed,
My manna in the wilderness
Art Thou, the living Bread.

Thou givest through my pilgrimage
The finest of the wheat;
I find the Marah waters changed
From bitter unto sweet.

At Thy right hand, my King of grace,
Unworthy though I be,
Thou hast reserved for evermore
Fulness of joy for me.

An undefiled inheritance,
That fadeth not away;
A glory incorruptible
Through Thee, the Living Way.

E. J. Carr
From Hand In Hand With Jesus, And Other Poems
Published 1877

No comments:

Post a Comment