Friday, November 03, 2023

ABC's Of Faith/Alphabet Poem (Poems)

Here are two poems written at two very different points in my life - as a lost teenager (or perhaps when I was 20 - it was from a binder of poems that I found with things I had written up until 1990) and as a new Christian. While they may be a little cheesy, I like the attempts at making acrostic poems with every letter of the alphabet, and the contrast in worldviews presented in each. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ changed everything, including my outlook on life, my priorities, and my eternal destiny! Now I have a spiritual prize worth striving for that I know I can reach, not some airy phantom or dream that has no meaning.

Alphabet Poem

A star in the sky
Beyond my reach.
Couldn't find a way to bring
Down that fabled treasure,
Even though I tried, seemingly
Forever.
God,
How can I ever grasp it, because
I don't know how.
Just tell me, let me
Know.
Let
Me touch that fiery prize.
Nothing will hold me back. If
Only I had a ladder long enough.
Perchance a
Quick
Rocket through
Space
To my final destination.
Unless I could capture that
Veritable pearl of brightness...
Would I if I could - perhaps if I was
Xerxes, aged king of Persia,
You'd let me obtain my
Zenith.

ABC’s Of Faith

A still small voice
Borne on the wind
Carries my doubts away,
Delivering me from
Every
Fear.
God’s purposes hold sway.
His plan is still in effect -
In my heart, Jesus is still on the throne;
Keeping watch over me, I know He will never ever
Leave me alone.
Mighty is the
Name of Jesus,
Omnipotent and
Precious to my soul;
Quite a difference He made when He
Restored me and made me whole.
Sometimes life can be bittersweet with
The terribly strong taste of defeat,
Until I call upon my Lord - He
Vanquishes my worries with just a
Word.
Xylophones are playing, taking away my fears;
You’re gently healing my heart - Your
Zephyr is here.

December 19, 1995
Jerry Bouey

John 3:6-8 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Philippians 3:13-14  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

For a much more recent attempt at an alphabet/acrostic poem, written as a song, please visit this page:
ABC's Of Heaven's Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment