Sunday, May 16, 2021

Meaningless? (Poem)

Meaningless?

Life is meaningless

As Solomon said, "All is vanity."

Nothing is worth living for

Except God

Nothing is worth everything

Except God.

He is my only reason for living

He is in my heart

Always on my mind

The possessor of my soul

He is the great "I Am"

His throne is established from of old.


Jesus is my Lord, my Saviour

My Shepherd

I am a sheep of His pasture

I know Him

And that knowledge alone is worth eternity.


The fellowship, the lovingkindness

And mercy He showers upon me

I could never give up

He is the only Way

He is ultimate Truth

He is my Life.


He is the only God

I worship only Him

I will never turn away

Or give Him up for anything.


Life is utterly meaningless

Vanity of vanities

From beginning to end

Without the Alpha and Omega

The First and the Last

Who is, who was, and who is to come

He that liveth, and was dead, and is alive forevermore

The Almighty,

My Saviour, My God,

Jesus.


August 3rd, 1994

Jerry Bouey


Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher,

vanity of vanities; all is vanity...

What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

...The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be;

and that which is done is that which shall be done:

and there is no new thing under the sun...

I have seen all the works that are done under the sun;

and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit...

Ecclesiastes Chapter One,

written by King Solomon,

the richest, wisest man who ever lived.


Without the Lord Jesus Christ, everything life could possibly offer is only Vanity of Vanities. As Alexander Grosse said so meaningfully in 1632, "Where Christ reveals Himself there is satisfaction in the slenderest portion, and without Christ there is emptiness in the greatest fulness."


What are you doing under the sun? Why don't you set your heart on the things of Heaven. Look above this sin-cursed world with its gaudy trinkets and worthless baubles. Look above the sun, to the Son! Set your heart on Jesus! And find life's true meaning in Him.


If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth...

(Colossians 3:1-2)


Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

(Matthew 6:19-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment