Friday, June 15, 2012

Thirsting In This Wilderness (Poem)

In 2005, after my Mom died, I spent time with my family attempting to comfort them by preaching about her saving faith at her memorial. I came back so spiritually dry and thirsty from this time, and was unexpectedly empty. I came across these words in Isaiah during my very next Bible reading and they really soothed my soul.

Isaiah 41:17-18 When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them. I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.

As a result of these verses, I put together various studies on living water, but I don't think I ever tried to put these ideas into a poem. Recently reading through Ecclesiastes has brought them back to mind, and this is my attempt to do so. I feel like I'm priming a rusty water pump - as this is my first poem in a long while. Feel free to give me your input. I promise I will not be offended and will consider it.

Thirsting In This Wilderness

I've been striving so long in this wilderness so cruel,
Wandering around aimlessly, in fact I've been a fool;
Searching for something else to fill this empty void inside,
So blind to my own decision to leave the Saviour's side.

Growing rough and weary, no solid footing for my feet;
Stumbling through the Tempter's snares only brought me swift defeat.
This endless barren desert brings a parching, aching thirst -
That can only be quenched by the True Love I knew at first.

Faltering in the darkness, with treacherous paths ahead;
Surrounded by fiery serpents, each shadow marked with dread;
Crying for some guidance, grieved I had ever gone astray;
I heard a voice call out to me, "My child, this is the way."

Turning to heed God's Word, I see my Shepherd standing there -
With provisions to strengthen me, all my burdens to bear.
With streams of living water, Jesus fills that thirst within,
Works His peace deep in my soul, brings me back to life again.

June 14th, 2012
Jerry Bouey

Deuteronomy 8:15-16a Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint; Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna...

Isaiah 30:18-21 And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him. For the people shall dwell in Zion at Jerusalem: thou shalt weep no more: he will be very gracious unto thee at the voice of thy cry; when he shall hear it, he will answer thee. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

If you are interested, please visit the link below to hear this poem presented in church:
(The audio recording is at the top of the page)

Thirsting In This Wilderness

No comments:

Post a Comment