Saturday, December 04, 2010

The Hope Of Christmas (Poem)

Lindsay was a friend to many at the Gospel Mission where I work. She trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation about two years ago, and was making many wise choices to separate from harmful influences in her life and from friends that would only drag her down spiritually and by tempting her back into her addictions. Unfortunately, her house became an unsafe place for her, and Lindsay was truly seeking to find new housing where she would not be exposed to those addictions. She cleaned up, she spent many hours volunteering at the mission, and was such a help and a blessing. She met regularly with the chaplain at the Mission to work on overcoming those addictions and learn more from God's Word.

We only know part of what happened on November 28th. Tragically, she overdosed through the influence of one of those bad "friends." Even though we are saddened by her sudden loss - her story ends in glory. Her hope this Christmas was the Saviour that came to give her life - that same Saviour that took her home, away from all her struggles and fears - to be with Him.

This poem is an attempt to see things from Lindsay's perspective. The title of the poem is a line that I had going through my mind all afternoon before writing this poem.

The Hope Of Christmas
(Dedicated to Lindsay Guenther)

In the midst of my sorrows, troubles and tears,
I sought the Lord and He saved me from my fears.
In this time when you are overwhelmed by loss,
Remember the Saviour who died on the cross -
That's my hope this Christmas.

Struggling to overcome my dark addictions,
And learning to make some braver decisions;
You broke through all those chains that held me so tight,
You scattered my darkness because You're my Light -
That's my hope this Christmas.

This Christmas, I know you're not celebrating,
But our reunion's worth anticipating.
My struggling heart's not the end of the story;
Eternity awaits in realms of glory -
That's my hope this Christmas.

Jesus came to this earth to show us the way;
He paid for sin's debt - one we could never pay.
Salvation's His gift offered to us by grace,
Receiving eternal life with Him by faith -
That's the hope of Christmas.

December 3rd, 2010
Jerry Bouey

Psalm 34:4-6 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment