Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Lord Our Righteousness (Hymn by Robert Murray M'Cheyne)

The Lord Our Righteousness

I once was a stranger to grace and to God,
I knew not my danger, and felt not my load;
Though friends spoke in rapture of Christ on the tree,
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU was nothing to me.

I oft read with pleasure, to soothe or engage,
Isaiah's wild measure and John's simple page;
But e'en when they pictured the blood-sprinkled tree,
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU seemed nothing to me.

Like tears from the daughters of Zion that roll,
I wept when the waters went over His soul;
Yet thought not that my sins had nailed to the tree,
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU -- 'twas nothing to me.

When free grace awoke me, by light from on high,
Then legal fears shook me, I trembled to die;
No refuge, no safety in self could I see --
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU my Saviour must be.

My terrors all vanished before the sweet name;
My guilty fears banished, with boldness I came
To drink at the fountain, life-giving and free --
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU is all things to me.

JEHOVAH TSIDKENU! my treasure and boast,
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU! I ne'er can be lost;
In Thee I shall conquer by flood and by field --
My cable, my anchor, my breastplate and shield!

Even treading the valley, the shadow of death.
This watchword shall rally my faltering breath;
For while from life's fever my God sets me free,
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU my death-song shall be.

~Robert Murray M'Cheyne~

Jehovah Tsidkenu means "The LORD our Righteousness."

Jeremiah 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment