Sunday, June 20, 2010

Slow Down, Daddy! (Poem)

Slow Down, Daddy!

"Slow down, Daddy, I just can't run that fast!"
The little voice calls out to you, as you walk on past.
"Wait for me, Daddy, I'm trying hard to follow you..."
Walking closely in your footsteps - where are you leading to?

"Hey Daddy, hey Daddy, come take a look at me!"
The call goes on unheeded; too caught up in your thoughts to see.
"Come over here, Daddy, can you stop a minute and play?"
The little voice laughs aloud, but you are distracted by your day.

"Oh Daddy, guess what we learned in class today.
Jesus loves me, this I know. And then we knelt to pray...
Tell me Bible stories about Jesus - I really love those parts...
I got saved today, Daddy, Jesus now lives in my heart!"

"I love you, Daddy, I thought of you all day long...
We had so much fun - but I miss you when you're gone.
Good night, Daddy, it's been a long, long, day.
I'm so sleepy, Daddy, but I love it when you pray."

"Come play with me, Daddy," the words echo in your ear,
As you gaze upon your sleeping child, the one you love so dear.
"It's been so long, Daddy, I was waiting for you to come home to me."
And you vow to be there tomorrow, to be the Daddy you need to be.

For Father's Day
May 30th/06
Jerry Bouey

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath:
but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Ephesians 6:4

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day,
shall be in thine heart:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children,
and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house,
and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down,
and when thou risest up.

Deuteronomy 6:4-7

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Deb. I hope Brian had a wonderful Father's Day.

    This poem was a challenge by a lady in our church to write. Because of my bad experiences of having no father around for most of my childhood, I couldn't relate to what a good father was like - until I got to learn more about how the Lord is my Heavenly Father. But this poem reflects what I hear some children desire about their own Dad - and sometimes the business and hectic lives of many Dads, that I wanted to express it as something for fathers to think about. A day in the life of a child in a Christian home, excited about learning about the Saviour, and wanting their Daddy to always be there for them.

    ReplyDelete