Thursday, March 11, 2010

Prayer For Comfort (Poem)

This is a poem written by a friend to comfort me, just hours before my Mom went home to be with the Lord, around 2 am on September 22nd/2005. I edited a couple of the words in it (and removed my name), so as to post a poem that could be a source of comfort to others and not just myself. I am not able to contact Theresa, so I hope she will not mind these few words changes. The original version (as well as words of comfort from her email) can be found on this page: God's Grace In Our Trials.

I am printing up a second edition of my poetry book, The Seasons Of Your Pilgrimage, and this is one of the poems I will be adding to the 2nd edition, as a testimony to the comfort these words offered me and my sister at the time of our Mom's graduation to Heaven. I hope it is a blessing to you.

Prayer For Comfort

Father, bless my friend today, as he trusts You in his pain,
This one who's leaving him, he knows, will surely live again.
He loves You, Lord, and he is holding to Your loving Hand.
And someday he will join her in Your great Glory Land.

There will be tears of pain and, yes, there'll be many sorrows.
He needs You, Lord, today and will need You for the tomorrows.
I know this, Lord, because I've walked this long, long, painful road...
Hold him close and comfort him as he bears this heavy load.

Thank You, Father, for my friend and the blessing that he has been.
Thank You for Your mercy, Lord, and for forgiveness of our sin.
There are many, including me, that are blessed by his love for You.
Help us to glorify Your Precious Name in all we say and do.

We lift our hands and hearts to You, our Father and our God;
For we see Your Love in all creation as in this land we trod.
Even in our suffering, we still feel Your Holy Presence here.
Thank You, thank You, O Lord, our God, for always being near.

Theresa Wood

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ. And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment