Friday, August 18, 2006

Mother's Day In Heaven (Poem)

Because of my commitment to Christ, my Mom and I had been estranged for years. She was somewhat religious, but did not know Jesus Christ as her personal Saviour, until about two or three years before she died. As a result, there were many Mother's Days that went by without regular contact (or anything special done) - but last year, now that we were reconciled and she had become a believer, I wanted to do something really special for her. She had moved back up to Canada, so I was able to purchase an expensive flower arrangement for her and have it delivered to her - I had never done anything like that before, but it meant a whole lot to my Mom. A couple of months later, I was able to see my Mom for a couple of days and spend my Mom's and stepdad's 21st wedding anniversary with them (and my sister and her children - Lori had come up to help our Mom with her progressively failing health) - the last time I had seen My Mom was for a couple of weeks in 2000, and the time prior to that was about 10 years before that because of her moving down to the States, and then later because of our estrangement.

Due to her bad health (cancer - which had since been healed, but then failed kidneys and liver due to all the treatments, etc.), she had gone gone into a short coma and was hospitalized for about a month (she had spent about half of the year prior to this in the hospital too), but she was released the week that I came down, and for the three or four days I got to see her she was doing okay. But the day after I came back home, she went back in the hospital. That visit on her anniversary was the last time I was able to see her on earth.

In light of my Dad's death at the end of March, when Mother's Day came around this year, I was thinking a lot about where my Mom was, and though I desired so much to do something special for her again, I knew I could not. This poem was a result of the mixed emotions and thoughts at that time: gladness because she was in Heaven with her Saviour, pain free; and sadness because I would not see her until I got home to Heaven somewhere further down the road.

Mother's Day In Heaven
(Dedicated to my Mom -
I miss you, and look forward to seeing you again!)


It’s your first Mother’s Day in Heaven –
I'm so thankful that you're not alone;
As you behold the face of our Saviour,
And are blessed to worship at His throne.

Mom, I would love to send you flowers,
Though their fading glory could not compare
To the beautiful sights and sounds of Heaven,
And your very own mansion over there.

I never thought so much about Heaven,
As I have since you’ve gone home to that place –
Oh Mom, I miss you so very much,
And I long to see your precious face.

You see, this earthly home now seems more empty –
Its glitter and glamour can no more impress;
For Heaven is the place of God’s truest riches –
Where our Father only keeps the best!

Since you turned and trusted in the Saviour,
An amazing change has taken place;
Dwelling in the presence of Jesus now,
In Heaven - only because of His grace.

It’s your first Mother’s Day in Heaven –
With everlasting joy and peace up there.
Oh Mom, I miss you so much now,
But I know our reunion will be beyond compare.

May 8th/06
Jerry Bouey

If you are interested, please visit the link below to hear this poem presented in church:
(The audio recording is at the top of the page)

No comments:

Post a Comment